Dr Marina Orsini-Jones is Principal Lecturer in English and Course Director for the MA in English Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics at Coventry University. A graduate in Foreign Modern Languages and Literature from the University of Bologna, Marina became interested in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) in 1986. Her doctorate at Coventry University was based on her student-driven and action-research-based model of educational practice underpinned by e-learning tools.
Marina has published work on digital literacies, personal development planning, intercultural communicative competence and threshold concepts, often in collaboration with her students. She is currently investigating the features of Intercultural Communicative Competence (ICC) in Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) in collaboration with the MexCo team she set up in 2012. She is involved in many intercultural knowledge transfer OIL (Online International Learning) projects, such as MexCo with Mexico (Universidad de Monterrey – UDEM), CoCo with France (Universite’ de Haute Alsace Colmar) and CoBo with Turkey (Boğaziçi University, Istanbul). In 2013 Marina was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship from the Higher Education Academy (£10,000) and a £60,000 HEA grant to further develop her OIL project with Mexico. She has been invited to disseminate her OIL projects locally at CU, nationally and internationally.
- Orsini-Jones, M., Lloyd, E. and Lee, F. (2014) Reflecting on Intercultural Communicative Competence Issues in Telecollaboration Exchanges using English as a Lingua Franca. 47th BAAL (British Association of Applied Linguistics) Conference. Learning. Working and Communicating in a Global Context. University of Warwick, 4-6 September 2014.
- Orsini-Jones, M., Klee, F. and Bescond, G. (2015) ‘Sharing Tips for Telecollaboration with a VLE’. Workshop delivered at the 10th E-learning Symposium, University of Southampton, 22-23 Jan.
- Orsini-Jones, M. (2015) The Cyberpragmatics ‘Genre Twist’: Redefining Intercultural Communicative Competence in Online International Exchanges. Poster Presented at the XV Congresso Internazionale di Studi dell’Associazione Italiana di Linguistica Applicata, Linguaggio e Apprendimento Linguistico: Metodi e Strumenti Tecnologici, Universita’ del Salento, Lecce, 19-21 February. Poster also presented at BESRES, where it won the best research poster award (Internal Faculty Research Conference at CU) 30th June.
- Orsini-Jones, M. (2015) Telecollaboration: Theory and Practice – Erasmus exchange Lecture and Workshop. Universita’ del Salento, Lecce, 23rd February
- Orsini-Jones, M. (2015) Online International Projects for Global Citizenship -Engaging as global citizens in a digital world. Invited Guest Lecturer at the Laurea Tikkurila International Week, Laurea, Finland, 5th March.
- Orsini-Jones, M. and García, B. (2015) Strategic relations to promote internationalization at home through COIL activities: MexCo (Mexico-Coventry) Project, talk delivered at the 7th COIL Conference, The Expanding Landscape of COIL Practitioners, Networks, and Hubs: What’s Next? COIL Center, SUNY, NY, 19-20 March. Power Point available at: http://coil.suny.edu/sites/default/files/orsini_garcia-_strategic_relations_to_promote_internationalization.pdf
- Orsini-Jones, M. Online International Learning (2015).Talk delivered at the above Istanbul conference held at the University of Boğaziçi on May 12th.
- Orsini-Jones, M. Online International Intercultural Learning – Engaging as global citizens in a digital world. Talk delivered at the BES Internationalisation Seminar organised by Albina Szeles and Dr Don Finlay with an international guest, Dr Kip Becker from Boston University. 1st June.
- Orsini-Jones, M., Alnajjar, M., Alhamed, N., Altamimi, S., and Leinster, H. (2015) The Blended MOOC community of practice: A metareflective staff/student investigation into innovative blended e-learning practice. Workshop/talk at: Transforming Futures: Disruption, Connection and Innovation. Coventry University Teaching and Learning Conference. Weston Building 2015. Coventry: Coventry University, 25-26 June.
- Orsini-Jones, M., Pibworth-Dolinski, L., Cribb, M., Brick,B., Gazeley-Eke, Z. Lloyd, E; and Leinster, H. (2015) Learning about Language Learning on a MOOC: How Massive? How Open? How Online? How “Course”?. EuroCALL 2015, ‘Critical CALL’. Universita’ degli Studi di Padova, Italy, 26-29 August.
Article in Refereed Academic Journals
- Orsini-Jones, M., Lloyd, E., Lee, F., Cribb,M. and Bescond, G. (forthcoming 2016) ‘Global Citizenship as a Threshold Concept: Addressing Troublesome Knowledge in the Telecollaborative Exchange MexCo’.
Special issue of Innovations in Language Learning and Teaching.
Chapters in Books
- Orsini-Jones, M., Lloyd, E. Gazeley, Z., Lopez-Vera B., and Bescond, G. (2015). Student-driven intercultural awareness raising with MexCo: agency, autonomy and threshold concepts in a telecollaborative project between the UK and Mexico. In Tcherepashenets, N. (Ed.) Globalizing On-line: Telecollaboration, Internationalization and Social Justice.(pp. 199-239). New York, USA: Peter Lang.
- Orsini-Jones, M. (2015). A reflective e-learning journey from the dawn of CALL to web 2.0 intercultural communicative competence (ICC). In K. Borthwick, E. Corradini, & A. Dickens (Eds), 10 years of the LLAS elearning symposium: Case studies in good practice (pp. 43-56). Dublin: Research-publishing.net.