This innovative project aims to improve cross-cultural understandings of responses to traumatic experiences with inter-professional students studying counselling, clinical psychology, mental health, gender, health and justice.
It brings together students from UK, Sri Lanka, Spain and South Africa.
An online forum will explore the effectiveness of this novel teaching and learning procedure and aims for students to enthusiastically share ideas and develop formulation skills as well as sharing cross-cultural understandings regarding those affected by traumatic experiences. The pilot project will include focus group discussions as well as an evaluation of the students’ experiences with a view to potential further development.
• Students will work together and develop formulations and understandings regarding clients who have experienced trauma using case studies
• This will facilitate the sharing of beliefs regarding formulations that are influenced by culture.
• Enhance learning from the sharing of ideas across and between cultures
• Develop skills and the ability to construct formulations based on case studies
• Engage the students in the learning process and bring them in the centre of an international and global learning community
• Help students develop learning through interaction and collaboration with others.
• Create a positive learning environment which can facilitate and promote deep learning styles.
• Students will increase their understanding and skills in developing formulations and understandings regarding clients who have experienced trauma using case studies
• They will increase their knowledge of cultural beliefs that influence experiences of trauma
• Students will develop positive attitudes towards other cultures through the sharing of ideas
• Students will increase their knowledge of learning through interaction in an international and global community
• Students will increase their knowledge of using online resources to share knowledge and enhance learning
1. On-line discussion forums will be produced.
2. Reflective essays will be written on the students experiences.
1. Students will share their ideas regarding the experiences online with their peers
2. Students will include reflections on the activity in their reflective essay
3. Students will also complete a questionnaire on their experiences